Extra! Extra! Vancouver Man Writes About Food! Stop the blogosphere!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Kick Start My Heart - Part 1


I’m going to attempt something bold and daring, something figured out by our ancient ancestors. With the gallery of players above can you figure it out? It is a process which is still used today by bakers and brewmasters. Yes, I am attempting to cultivate a wild culture of yeast. Where does one get wild yeast? From the air my dear fellow, yeast happens to be floating around us all the time along with a multitude of over spores and what have you. This must be complex, right? Wrong!

First, the recipe [taken from “I’m Just Here For More Food” by Alton Brown]:


1 Cup Bread Flour2 Cups warm water1 teaspoon (tsp) sugar

There must be some complicated procedure right? Nope!

First we pour everything into a bowl like so.
Then apply some agitation to bring it all together.
whisk whisk whisk whisk
Done!
Yup, that's all the prep it takes and now we play the waiting game. The AB says it'll take about three days for things to really get going in there so until then I need a bug-free spot to leave it uncovered at about 70 - 80 degrees. Hm, I'm not sure how hot the sweat box is these days, feels like it's bouncing from cold to comfortable but I'll set it near a window cracked ever so slightly to be safe. Now, bug free, hmmmmm. I don't like the idea of leaving this completely vulnerable to the air, I mean, I don't have a pest problem but I did just hunt down a pesky fly this evening. I need something that will still let the air at it but won't let anything too big in. Aha! Cheesecloth, I knew I kept this around for more than just making yogurt cheese.
There, cheesecloth + tape = protected starter. I hope this pans out for the pay off will be sweet, I can't wait to taste that Vancouver sourdough (look out San Fran, you're not the only place with wild yeast).

And just in case you don't get the reference (Universal disabled embedded video, dunno why). If you're impatient scroll to just before a minute in.
- Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers